Saturday, May 5, 2018

Paper Wasp


As I sat this morning Paper Wasp settled into the palm of my hand. I know that this is the time of year when Wasps that are flying around are females looking for places to start nests. She sat in my palm for a bit, then she cleaned her antenna with her front legs. She circled several times then flew up, landed on my solder, then flew off. I have heard stories about Snake and Alligator where Snake bites Alligator and they die together in the river because, “Snake will always be Snake.” It seems that Wasp is not always Wasp, or perhaps there is more to being Wasp than just stinging people. As Wasp flew around me, I was conscious of her, realizing that if she was on my hand when I reached up to rub my eye I might get stung, but that seemed to me like a reasonable response to a possibly threatening situation. As I contemplate Wasp being more than Wasp, I wonder about me being more then me. Today I will be aware of assumptions I make about myself and the possible limitations these assumptions create.

No comments:

Post a Comment