Saturday, October 28, 2017

Tree Time

Due West of the cabin's front porch, there are two Maple Trees. One of them has dropped most of its leaves. The other is still shedding. Seeing his, I realize that, until today, I didn't notice the leaves falling from either Tree.

As I sit and watch the leaves fall one by one, I am aware that I could have taken the time to witness both Trees transform to their current state from their state of bright green leafy-ness, but I did not. This gets me thinking about how the illusion of rapid change is usually a result of me not paying sufficient attention to the gradual transitions of life. I did not wake up one day at the age of fifty four. A significant number of Winters and Springs and Summers and Autumns have transpired to get me where I am today. Noticing the moments of each enriches my experience of my past, and slows time.

No matter how bare the Tree is, each leaf was released one at a time. I have the opportunity to notice and appreciate each transition that happens in my life, from this moment to the next, like leaves falling from a tree. Otherwise I might wake up one day and wonder where it all went.


Today, I am grateful to be able to sit outside for a while watching the leaves fall, and notice the richness of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment