Thursday, December 28, 2017

Dangerous Cold

The air temperature this morning was one degree. The record for today is negative three. With the wind chill, it feels like negative twenty. My culture uses words like brutal and dangerous to describe this kind of cold. I am invited to consider the cold as a threat to me personally.

But the cold is not about me. It is not dangerous, it just is. I can make choices in relation to the cold that will put me in danger, but that is about my choices, not the cold itself. The cold that is difficult for me, just like the warmth that is difficult for some other creatures, it just what that: Cold. What I choose to do in it is what determines it's effect on me.


Today, I will be paying attention to the choices I make and their effects, and declining invitations that suggest that the weather is responsible for my mistakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment