Friday, April 27, 2018

Wasp Wisdom


This is the time of year when we start to see Paper Wasps around the cabin. When I see them, I know it's time to start looking around in the nooks and crannies for new nests. When I find one of the nests it's usually only made up of two or three cells with a pair of Wasps in attendance. I flick it off of whatever it is attached to, and it gently drops to the ground. The attending Wasps will follow it down, inspect it for a while, return to the spot where it was anchored, inspect that, then fly off to find a new place to start again. They do all this while I stand and watch. The Wasps don't attack me or buzz around in a rage or start to rebuild where they left off, they just leave. I am struck by the Wisdom of Wasp. Attacking me would serve no purpose. The nest is gone and stinging me would not bring it back. Risking their lives for this purpose would only make it possible that they would die and not be able to rebuild. That would mean that they could not create more Wasps. If they were to start to rebuild in the same spot I would just remove their nest again. That would be a waste of their time, and it would be foolish to build a home where one has already been destroyed. Going into a rage is simply exhausting. They need their energy to build a home for their family. So they fly away to start in a place that better serves the needs of the young ones still to come. I have much to learn from Paper Wasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment