Sunday, July 22, 2018

Life Always Wins


Sitting out in the rain, Phoebe seems to be alone, chirping for her mate. We have found the Coppers Hawks. They are off to the East, but noisy as ever. We're glad they are back, but that may be why Phoebe's mate is gone. For the past several weeks I have been watching Phoebe catch insects to feed her babies. The insects were out gathering food to feed their babies. Cooper's Hawk catches small birds to feed hers. I stack firewood in the shed where Phoebe's nest is and disturb the chicks. Our lives all intersect in millions of ways as we each do what we do. If Phoebe's mate is now a part of Cooper's Hawk's babies, Phoebe may not be able to find enough insects to keep all of her babies alive. If Cooper's Hawk gets that surviving Phoebe parent, all the chicks will die in the nest in the wood shed where I will stack wood for the coming Winter. Whatever happens, though, Life will go on. Regardless of who lives, Cooper's Hawk, Phoebe, or me, Life will go on. I will work to decline the invitation to think I can know who should live, and be grateful for that no matter who survives, Life continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment