Friday, January 26, 2018

Mob Calls

A Mob of Crows had gathered in the Northern woods. Their caws greeted me as a walked outside this morning. From the sound of it, there were Jays mixed among them, though I only caught glimpses of any of the actual birds.

Then they all fell silent. So long and complete was their silence, that I pondered for a moment whether they had somehow flown off without my noticing. Then I heard another Mob, far off in the Northwest. Was the Northern Mob listening?

Eventually the chain of caws erupted again strengthening my curiosity. How did the Northern mob know to listen? Could they her the further mob over their own calls? Or were their calls a response to calls I had missed?


I am left to ponder there question, grateful for having heard their familiar banter. I wonder what questions the rest of my day will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment